Food and restaurant recommendations in Florence - November 2016

I love food and wine, it's a big part of who I am and it's probably the only 2 subjects I will talk to anyone about.
After recently starting a new job over here in Florence, I've found myself turning into some kind of food and drink guide of Florence - telling everyone who comes into the wine bar where to go for dinner, lunch tomorrow, for cocktails later in the evening, events going on in Florence, cultural activities, markets etc.
So from now on, I will direct them here, where I hope to keep an up to date reference point for where to eat, drink and visit all over Florence.

Food and Restaurants

I'll confess this now. I eat out ALL the time. I think I've actually cooked at home in Florence once, and that was almost 3 months ago...therefore I feel that I've got to know Florence and its food pretty well in the past few months. Heres where I'm enjoying at the moment;

- Ristorante il Pennello; Via Dante Alighieri, 4/r
  I work pretty central so this is right round the corner from me, hence it's a great place for a
  quick solo lunch, or a long dinner with friends. It's in an area which is full of awful tourist
  traps and the menu is big, but please don't let that put you off! I love it in here, and have never
  had a bad meal. From the homemade pasta, to their beautiful tender osso buco, plus the service
  is always the best I've experienced in Florence.




- Shake Cafe & juice bar; Via del Corso, 26
  Again situated in the centre so it's on my way to work and where I'm learning Italian, so I tend to  
  visit this place place quite regularly. Their salads are always ultra tasty and full of flavour, they do 
  tasty soups, wraps and lots of vegetarian options too. I tend to eat-in in their tiny downstairs
  room; a nice place to hideaway for a quiet lunch.



- Essenziale; Piazza di Cestello
  My favourite meal in a long time. If your looking for somewhere to go for a special occasion   
  you MUST go here - I recently wrote about my amazing dinner there here.



- Eataly; Via de'Martelli, 22
  Ok you find them all over the world now but hands down it's the best place to get bread in
  Florence, even the Florentines vouch for this! They have 2 restaurants, the one upstairs is a bit
  more formal, whereas downstairs is a great spot for lunch. Their pizzas look great, and the pasta
  and salads are always tasty. Their selection of wines by the glass is always interesting and make
  sure you head upstairs to browse their vast wine shop! The gnudi with saffron was to die for.



Osteria I Buongustai
- Fast, hectic and always busy, but you will always be able to sit straight away if your going solo for 
  lunch on the bar by the entrance. They have a nice selection of crepes, but their pasta is always
  homemade, delicious and they are HUGE portions, I had the chicken and porcini stew last time I 
  was in and loved it.



Ara: e Sicilia 
- They also have a great sounding restaurant near the Uffizi which I'm yet to try but this little take 
   out place, opposite the Galleria dill'academia is awesome. Start with an arancini (the sardine and 
  dill one is amazing,as it the squid ink one!) then make sure you get a freshly made cannolo to
  finish!



Irene Firenze; Piazza della Repubblica
- A great spot on the main meeting point in Florence, it's a great place to go and sit outside and
  people watch (weather permitting!). Their lunch menu (€20) is a bargain for some real spot on  
  cooking. The winelist has a pretty heavy mark up but the cocktails pretty good.




Vivanda; Via Santa Monaca, 7
- Situated on the other side of the river is a great vegetarian restaurant, in fact I had one of my
  favourite dishes here (tomato and mozzarella tortellini). Read my post here.



Libreria Brac; Via dei Vagellai, 18
- Bookshop/restaurant; another great vegetarian restaurant, the gnocchi was amazing.

Il Carduccio; Sdrucciolo de'Pitti, 10/red
- Probably seeing a bit of a theme; here's another vegetarian place not far from Pitti Palace. Great 
  healthy salads and nice fresh juices too.



Todo Modo; Via dei Fossi; 15/r
- Another bookshop and cafe in one, great place for lunch and an interesting wine list too.

Lo Schiacciavino; Via Giuseppe Verdi, 6/re-
- Great little place for lunch, their panini are amazing

Pane e Toscana; Borgo Degli Albizi 31/red
- Another sandwich place I visited on my first day in Florence and still remains a firm favourite

Fishing Lab all Murate; Via del Proconsolo
- Great fish restaurant right by the Bargello museum and really well priced! Good for when your
  craving fritto misto and a glass of Franciacorta. 



I due Fratellini; Via de Cimatori, 38/red
- For a panini from a whole in the wall



Il Panino del Chianti; Via de' Bardi, 63/red
- Just over the Ponte Vecchio, great little place to grab a panini and a glass of something nice.




All' Antico Vinaio; Via dei Neri, 74/r
- Ok it's in every guide book, and you can get better but this place deserves a mention, just look
  for the queues and pigeons!



Mercato Centrale; San Lorenzo district
- Go upstairs, buy a bottle of something nice then wander round the food stalls there. Lots to pick 
  from but the pizza is great. It is touristy and does get busy but I still love it there!



5e Cinque; Piazza della Passera, 1
- Another vegetarian restaurant which I love. Fairly small menu but lots of variation. Wine list
  has some unusual wines too.



Hope that's enough to start you off - I will be posting lots more recommendations in the future!





Comments

Popular Posts