Food and restaurant recommendations in Florence - December 2016

I'm writing this after 4 days stuck in bed after being hit with a horrendous flu. I haven't got an appetite and I've lost my sense of taste, so what better way to spend my time than looking back over the past few weeks to remind myself of the great food I've had in Florence! This is my second post on food and restaurant recommendations, so if you missed my first one check it out here.

- Arà: è SUD; Via della Vigna Vecchia 4
  I'll start with this one, as it definitely deserves top place in my recommendations recently. Fancy
  Sicilian or seafood in Florence? This is the place to go, and you might already recognise it from my
  previous post praising their arancini at their sister site near the Galleria dell Academia (for their
  amazing arancini!). Highlights were obviously the desserts (which Sicilians do best!) and also
  spaghetti with sardines, fennel tops and raisins.

.


- Il Pizzaiuolo; Via de' Macci 113r
  I've recently moved apartments and so changed neighbourhoods and I now call Sant'Ambrogio
  home; I couldn't be happier about it! There's the market, the many restaurants, cafes, bars and
  everyone is Italian! It's nice to be in a more 'authentic' part of Florence to practice my Italian, and
  this place was one of my early finds. It's always packed so I've only ever managed a take away here
  but the pizza is always great.


- Agricola Toscana; Via del Corso 27r
  I've stopped here for aperitif before (local beer) but never fancied eating here for some reason. I
  was desperate for a quick feed before work and so glad I chose this place! The ravioli with sausage
  and greens was excellent, as are their antipasti - they take a lot of care of sourcing their
  ingredients, so everything is top quality.




- Panbriaco; Via del Corso 29r
  Or pop next door for a selection of local meats and cheeses, or for a great panini to take away.

- Enoteca Fiorentina; Via Pietra Piana 11r
  Another one in the Sant' Ambrogio area, albeit a little expensive so I would recommend for a
  special occasion. Everything we tried was full of flavour and deliciously rich plus the wine list
  includes lots of interesting bits and pieces from further afield than Tuscany, at not too bad
  prices either.




- Olivia; Via il Prato 82r
  Opposite Palazzo Pitti is this new restaurant focused on olive oil. Lunch starts with a few slices
  of Tuscan bread drizzled in their olive oil, while you browse over the menu. It's definitely a lunch
  place in my eyes - I ended up having everything deep fried but it all tasted light and pretty
  healthy!




- Il Santino; Via di Santo Spirito 60
  The little brother of Santo Bevitore (which I unashamedly have never been too!) is this cute little
  wine bar situated next door. It's dark, dingy and with only a few tables, it's perfect for a hide away
  lunch or a quiet aperitif before dinner. The menu is always changing and I've had some really
  good things here; a baked chicken liver terrine was a highlight, but their bruschetta with various
  toppings are always a good idea for a light lunch with one of their wines by the glass.




- Da'Vinattieri; Via Santa Margherita 4r
  Just off Vis del Corso and right by Dantes "house" is this great little hole in the wall, but it
  does get busy! I normally order a few coccoli while I'm waiting (little fried savoury doughnuts
  with fillings such as sausage or pecorino and truffle). The focaccia for the panini is some of
  the tastiest I've had, and there most known combo (apart from the tripe!) is the prosciutto,
  artichokes and chicken liver, and is very good.




- Il Cernachino; Via della Condotta 38r
  I will end for my top spot for lunch in Florence at the moment. There menu for the fillings for
  their panini are always a little different (ham and mustard was delicious) but come for their rolls
  filled with either the sausage and bitter greens, or the meatballs - the soggy bread at the end is
  the best bit! They also have a little selection of hot dishes at the counter which was always very
  good. Their ribollita is tasty but if they have anything polenta based go for that.



Comments

Popular Posts